Are you a young person, or do you know a young person, who is caring for a family member living with a disability, mental illness or significant health issues and who is facing any of these challenges?
- Frequently missing school
- Having no time to complete homework
- Feeling distracted at school
- Feeling isolated and disconnected from school, or
- Thinking of quitting school or other education early
UCWB may be able to help with the Young Carers Program which supports students attending primary or secondary school who are aged up to 18 years and who are in a significant caring role.
Support to help students remain in school or education can include:
- In home respite to give the student a break from their caring role so they can spend time on their education
- Support with short term or immediate activities or materials that helps meet the educational needs of the students (e.g. school books, uniforms, school camps, meal provision)
- Tutoring in school subjects
- Information, referral and advice
- School holiday activities and group work
- Personal development workshops
For young carers aged 19 to 25 years, the service can offer support with the provision of information, advice and referral to appropriate services including counselling.