Departments and agencies

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, we encourage you to contact one of the organisations below.

Department of Social Services 
Free call in South Australia: 1800 634 035

Department of Human Services SA

Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner 
For complaints about health, in-home, respite or community services, treatment by registered or unregistered health professionals and child protection services for South Australian residents.
Free call: 1800 232 007
Ph: (08) 8226 8666

National Health Practitioner Ombudsman and Privacy Commissioner
For complaints about AHPRA registered health practitioners.
Free call: 1300 795 265
Where a consumer is unsatisfied by the outcome, they may seek a review by the Commonwealth Ombudsman on 1300 362 072

Disability services

NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
For complaints about service providers who deliver NDIS supports and services.
Free call: 1800 035 544

National Disability Advocacy Program 
Provides people with disabilities access to independent disability advocacy.
Find the closest agency at

Aged care services

Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission
For complaints about the care or services received under a Home Care Package or the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.
Free call: 1800 951 822

Mental health services

National Mental Health Commission
Provides advocacy to create system improvements and better accountability for mental health disability related grievances and complaints.
Ph: 02 8229 7550

Childcare services

Education Standards Board of SA
Will receive complaints from any person with a concern that relates to non-compliance with the Early Childhood Services legislation or health, safety or wellbeing of any child within a service.
Free call: 1800 882 413

Equal Opportunity Commission

Receives and investigates complaints about discrimination under the Equal Opportunity Act 1984.
Free call: 1800 188 163