Helping young children develop social skills
The Social Skills Group was developed for children in Reception and Year 1 who are identified by school counsellors and/or teachers as having delays in their social development or difficulties developing relationships.
The program covers the following topics:
- Week 1: Greetings and Goodbyes – introduction to the group with a focus on friendly and appropriate ways to greet others and say goodbye.
- Week 2: Joining in on Play – learning how to join in on play with others using examples of kind and unkind behaviours. This covers joining in with a partner and also joining a group situation.
- Week 3: Sharing – discussing the types of things that we need to share with others and practicing sharing toys.
- Week 4: Bucket Filling – covers the concept of bucket filling and bucket dipping. A bucket represents the student’s mental and emotional self.
- Week 5: Bucket Filling (continued) – covers the concept of bucket filling and bucket dipping. A bucket represents the student’s mental and emotional self.
- Week 6: Winning and Losing and recap – covering what it means to be a good sport and learning appropriate and inappropriate reactions to both winning and losing. We cover some of the key messages from the previous weeks, hand out certificates and resources to take home.
Delivered over six sessions.