How do I know if I am a carer?
Are you caring for, or have responsibilities and duties looking after an older person, a person living with a disability, or a person experiencing mental illness?
You may be eligible to access a range of Commonwealth funded services and community education and information programs that support your role as a carer including:
- Flexible respite care options
- Transport assistance, domestic help or personal care at times when a carer is unable to provide this support
- Access to personal, financial or family counselling
- Access to social and recreational activities to keep you connected to your community
- Education and wellbeing programs
Resource Options & Support for Carers (ROSC) for people caring for someone experiencing mental illness
ROSC supports carers of people experiencing mental illness. The UCWB team works with carers to set specific goals including connecting with psychological support, gaining or keeping employment, housing options, options for financial assistance, help with advocacy, and referrals.
How do I get access to Respite Care and services?
To see if you are eligible to book respite care, use the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre on 1800 052 222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
There are many different types of respite care. Find out more about respite care.
To get assistance with issues affecting carers or find out about our education and wellbeing programs, call us on 08 245 7196 or email email@example.com
Support for Young Carers
UCWB has a Young Carers Program which provides support for students attending primary or secondary school who are aged up to 18 years and who are in a significant caring role. Find out more
Check out UCWB’s quarterly publication with all the news carers need to know about the NDIS, disability care and aged care. Read Carers News
Australian Government Resources for carers:
- Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre – https://www.dss.gov.au/disability-and-carers/programmes-services/for-carers/commonwealth-respite-and-carelink-centres
- Carer Gateway – http://www.carergateway.gov.au/
UCWB activities for Carers
Download the brochures below for more information or call us on 8245 7196
Mates Breaks – social connection and activities for male carers
Stretchability – Dementia Education for Carers
Our Time North – a Peer Support Group for Carers living in the northern suburbs of Adelaide
Our Time South – a Peer Support Group for Carers living in the southern suburbs of Adelaide
Our Time West – a Peer Support Group for Carers living in the western suburbs of Adelaide