How to access home care

Funding options

The Australian Government partly funds some aged care services and programs for older people who are unable to continue living independently at home without support. While the Australian Government pays for the bulk of aged care in Australia, as with most aged care services, you may be asked by your service provider to contribute to the cost of your care.

We know this is all new and trying to access government-funded home care can be confusing. Our friendly team is here to help. We can walk you through how to obtain a home care package, or how to get the most out of your existing package.

View our easy 5-step guide to accessing home care.

Types of funding available

Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)

An entry-level or short-term program to provide specific assistance such as general help around the home, shopping, garden maintenance or group activities.

CHSP services are only part-funded by the government. That’s why we ask you to pay a contribution for each service that you use.

Learn more about CHSP. 

Home Care Packages (HCP)

Home Care Packages are government-funded. Through Home Care Packages the government provides a subsidy to cover the costs of care, services and care management that help you live well at home. There are four different levels of Home Care Packages. So, whether you need a little support or a lot, a Home Care Package will help you cover the costs of the things you need to safely live at home.

Learn more about HCP.

For urgent support

If you or a family member requires urgent assistance, please contact one of the following free 24/7 helplines:

  • Elder abuse hotline 1800 35 3374
  • SA Abuse Prevention 1800 372 310
  • Mental Health Triage 13 14 65